Plumbing FAQ's from Boston Plumber
This page contains many frequently asked questions relating to water heaters and plumbing in general. Email us with your question and we'll post it here.
Water Heater FAQs
How long can I expect my water heater to last? What's the warranty?
A typica warranty is 6 to 12 years, which is also the average life of a tank. Heavy use may shorten the tank's life. You can pay extra for insurance.
Is my water heater the right size?
A thirty gallon tank will just about supply enough hot water for 2 back to back showers. Ask your plumber if your current tank is appropriately sized for your family or business.
What is the correct setting for the water temperature on my water heater?
What are some reasons for a water heater to stop working?
An electric water heater has 2 heating elements upper and lower, if one is junk you have 1 element heating the tank. This can cause the hot water to run out quickly.
What about energy efficiency?
Gas water heaters are more efficient because they reheat the hot water faster than electric water heaters. If your heater is more than 12 years old, it's not transferring heat to the water as quickly as a new water heater. A 40 gallon uses less energy than a 30 gallon water heater given the same amount of use.
What if my tank bursts?
Emergency kits are available to shut if the water supply and gas if the tanks burst, giving you piece of mind when not at home.
What's the difference between traditional water heaters and tankless (on-demand) water heaters?
- Water heaters can be replaced easily even on holidays.
- Tankless water heaters can not usually be repaired on a holiday, parts are expensive and a longer waiting time.
- Tankless has a longer wait time as no water is hot when you turn on your faucet, it has to pass through a coil to be heated.
- Tankless heaters need a lot of gas to heat the water, check with your local gas company.
- Tankless water heaters suit small homes and small families that only require one shower at a time.
- Lifetime stainless steel warranty storage tanks are the best value for your buck, they run of gas or oil boilers and never burst.
Garbage Disposal FAQs